6 out of 10 women are ‘cosmetic flirts’. We cannot seem to decide on which products to stick to. Especially if there’s a specific obstacle (stretch marks, cellulite, blemishes, breakouts, black heads, sun spots) we’re trying to get rid of but they just won’t go away. We tend to go from one skin care product to the next. Even though there are certain factors, depending on our skin type and what we aim to achieve, that we should consider while choosing a body butter or face moisturizer, these natural extracts are most recommended for a general healthy glow and revived appearance for the skin. Please note that the skin is made of cells which grow and regenerate with time. This process cannot be sped overnight as most cosmetic products will claim. When using a product, expect to notice a visible difference in 2 weeks. A month is the recommended time to wait and see if your cosmetics are having the effect you want them to have. 3 months of consistent use is recommended if you working on scars, stretch marks and cellulite. Of course it depends as well, what form of the product you are using. Oils and serums will generally be more concentrated than body creams. Toners are more concentrated than cleansers or washes. Soap bars will work the slowest because we generally just let the soap lather wash off almost as soon as it’s on the body. For more effective results, after wetting your face or body, turn off the shower and lather the soap bar on your body. leave the spuds on for at least 5 mins then wash off. Patience is the key to good skin. That said, if you cannot find any noticeable improvement after 6 months of using a product, chuck it in the bin. It is either not for your skin type or just a rip off.almondavocadobeautybody shoopburts beescarrot. lemotcocoacoconutcosmeticsgarnierhomemadelighteningmoisturizernatural extractsoliveooilregimensheaskin caretea tree
1.Aloe VeraAloe vera is well-known for being a great skin care remedy for minor burns and skin irritation. This desert plant is not only medicinally beneficial, but it is an optimal cosmetic ingredient when used in skin care products or on its own. It is packed with active compounds that benefit the skin. It nourishes, moisturizes, and protects- everything you could want in a skin care product. Aloe is ideal for mature skin. Aloe improves levels of collagen when applied topically and ingested. Plenty of healthy, new collagen is essential for preventing sagging skin and wrinkles. Good for: Fighting bacteria, helps to rebuild new tissue, protect skin cells from damage, skin-softening, antiwrinkle remedy. Best Finds: Dr Organic Aloe Vera Skin Lotion, Aloe Skin range at Body Shop
2. SheaShea butter is extracted from the nut of West Africa’s wild karite tree. Its benefits to the skin are endless. Evens skin tone and returns luster to skin and hair. Absorbs quickly without leaving greasy residue. Shea Butter moisturizes and protects skin and scalp Especially over processed and heat-treated hair. Shea Butter doesn’t clog pores or block hair shaft. Revitalizes, softens and maintains skin moisture. Naturally rich in vitamins A, E & F which are some essential vitamins needed for good skin balance. Shea Butter penetrates deep into skin to help restore elasticity. Shea Butter benefits your skin by keeping it clear & smooth. Shea butter benefits include soothing some scalp and skin irritations. Best Finds: Shea butter moisturizers at Body Scentsations, Shea range at Body Shop, Burt’s Bees Honey and Shea Body Butter
3. AlmondAs far as the skin is concerned, almond can be used to great effect in several ways. Almond oil makes the skin smooth and soft, which is why it is often favored for massages. You can prepare a mixture of almond oil, honey, and lemon juice, and apply this as a face pack once a week. Almond oil can also be used for the hair. Almond oil nourishes the skin, making it smooth and soft because it’s an emollient. Moisturizes deeper and better. Delays aging process. Improves complexion and helps your skin retain or restore its glow . Soothes skin irritation and inflammation. Relieves dry and itchy skin. Lighten dark circles under the eyes. Heals chapped lips and body rashes. Relieves irritations, soreness and burns Best Finds: Extracts Almond Body Butter from Boots, Body Shop in store
4. Tea TreeI can vouch for tea tree any day anytime. I have been using the Body Shop tea tree range for a while now and it seriously works especially for blemishes and redness. I just started using the Dr Organic Tea Tree Skin Lotion from Holland and Barrett. It’s not as sweet smelling as other assorted butters and creams but it’s organic and I love it! Tea tree oil reduces the production of sebum in the sebaceous glands thereby reduces the production of bacteria that cause the formation of blemishes on the skin. The tea tree oil is a great moisturizer and cleanser. It opens the clogged pores and removes the bacteria from the skin surface. The tea tree oil is a good cleanser and it removes the dead cells from the skin without causing any harm to it. The recent studies have proved that tea tree oil is greatest skin toner and removes the fine wrinkles as well as the blemishes very effectively. The tea tree oil is very effective in wound healing, because of its anti-septic properties. It is very mild to the skin and does not causes any harm which other anti-septic products do. Best Finds: Tea tree range at Body Shop, Tea tree range at Holland and Barrett.
5. OliveOlive oil is one of the most sought after natural oils for skin care. In fact olive oil has been used as an ancient remedy for skin care during the Egyptian civilization and it is still widely used today. It has been cultivated for 3000 years in the Mediterranean which is why their women are often described as having beautiful olive skin. Olive oil is good for the hair, body and when eaten with food. It helps with constipation and digestion. Olive oil is good for everything from stretch mark therapy, prevention of hair loss, building stronger finger nails, acne therapy and anti-aging therapy. The most expensive olive oil product is usually labeled as “extra virgin” or “cold pressed”. This is because extra virgin olive oil is extracted from the first pressing of olives. It is not processed and it is the purest of olive oil extract. So if you are buying any bottle of extra virgin olive oil for cooking, you’ll be pleased to know that it is the healthiest type of oil for cooking. Even skin products labeled as “extra virgin” are more expensive, have more nutritional compounds for skin health and are far better at helping to improve the appearance of your skin. Like other products, using olive oil in its natural and virgin form is most recommended. Even though the olive body butters, oils and hair products will do just fine. Best Finds: Palmer’s Olive Body Butter , Organic Root Stimulator, Body Shop olive range
6. CocoaCocoa butter is frequently recommended for eliminating stretch marks and other scars. Many people believe that cocoa butter has helped to reduce their scars. Even plastic surgeons have advised their patients to use cocoa butter on surgical scars. With regular use it gives the skin a softer texture and a natural glow of the skin due to the hydration of the skins surface. It is also very effective at evening out skin tone by eliminating dark circles and redness.Aside from stretch marks it is effective at reducing the appearance of wrinkles and frown lines this is because it improves tightness of the skin and the Vitamin E provides collagen. It is also useful in softening difficult areas such as the elbows and knees where dryness is common.Cocoa butter is popular at treating pregnancy skin to reduce the chances of developing stretch marks with daily use throughout pregnancy; cocoa butter makes the skin softer therefore making the stretching during pregnancy less strenuous on the skin, although this is not guaranteed. Best Finds: Palmers Cocoa Butter range, Vaseline cocoa butter, Body Shop cocoa butter range
7. CoconutCoconut oil is one of the best natural nutrition for hair. It helps in healthy growth of hair providing them a shiny complexion. Regular massage of the head with coconut oil ensures that your scalp is free of dandruff, lice, and lice eggs, even if your scalp is dry. Coconut oil is excellent massage oil for the skin as well. It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skins including dry skin. Coconut oil is a safe solution for preventing dryness and flaking of skin. It also delays wrinkles, and sagging of skin which normally become prominent with age. Coconut oil also helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections . Therefore coconut oil forms the basic ingredient of various body care products such as soaps, lotions, creams, etc., used for skin care. Coconut oil also helps in preventing premature aging and degenerative diseases due to its antioxidant properties. Best Finds: Nature’s Way Pure Extra Virgin Coconut Oil , Pure Coconut oil from Holland and Barrett, Boots Ingredients Coconut Oil, Body shop coconut range.
8. CarrotCarrot Oil comes from Carrot seeds not from the plant. It lends your skin a bronze tint and prevents wrinkles. It’s a excellent protective care if you’re suffering from a dry skin. Carrot seed essential oil is one of the most reviving and also regenerating natural oils which could be utilized in skincare and also assists to improve the tone, since it helps to remove toxic build-up inside the pores and skin as well as eliminates excess water in the tissue. Carrot Oil is rich in beta-carotene as well as vitamins B, C, D and also E and is most helpful like a skin rejuvenator and extremely effective for dry and aging skin. It boosts the tone on the skin color, due to its healing impact on red blood cells, even though toning the skin and also escalating elasticity and firmness. Best Finds: The Body Shop carrot moisture cream (image above) is one my best finds of all time. It has so many good reviews on other blogs. The carrot cream went on sale and I stocked up on it. Unfortunately, the cream is now out of stock on the Body Shop website. You can find some genuine ones on Ebay though but I’m wary of the quality of products from Ebay sometimes. Visit Yes To Carrots for a range of carrot products.
9. AvocadoAvocados are a natural way to nurture and replenish your bodywithout any chemicals. The oil from avocados has long been used in many beauty products such as cleansing creams, hair conditioners, facial masks, bath oils and massage lotions. This is due to the fact that avocados are rich with essential nutrients that soothe and moisturize your skin.Avocados are rich with vitamin A which helps to remove dead skin cells from your body. They also contain an amino acid known as glutamine, which cleans and protects your skin from environmental damage. Avocado oil is great when used in massage lotions, as it is easily absorbed. Therefore it is able to penetrate deep into the layers of the skin to clean and restore nutrients. This helps to stimulate the growth of new skin cells, and improves the blood circulation in the skin. The oil in the avocado is also a great moisturizer which helps to soften dry skin. To make your own body moisturizer simply mash 1 or 2 avocados and add honey or your favorite essential oil. Apply the avocado to your skin and leave on for 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing with warm water.One avocado mashed and mixed together with 1 egg and your favorite essential oil is great for conditioning your hair. The healthy oils in the avocado help to moisturize and soften dry and brittle hair, and the vitamin E helps to restore a natural shine to your hair. To obtain these benefits simply massage the avocado and egg mixture into your hair and scalp and leave in for about 20 minutes. Then wash and condition with your regular shampoo and conditioner. Avocado oil can be used as a natural sunscreen to protect your skin as well as your hair from UVB and UVA rays. The oil is also great to help alleviate the pain of sunburns.
Best Finds: Crabtree & Evelyn Avocado Olive and Basil Body Butter
10. LemonLemon is great for removing wrinkles, blackheads and dead skin cells. Their natural properties help improve the skin. Lemon is well-known for its skin lightening properties. If you have dark spots or are trying to combat dark areas on the body (knees, elbows and armpits are prone to be darker than the normal skin tone), then apply fresh lemons on the area. Rub half a lemon on your face or any darker areas like elbows and knees. Repeat every day until you notice improvement in pigmentation. But remember to use sunscreen all time for increased protection! Follow this routine religiously for results. Lemon can dry your skin so remember to moisturize too. If you need a quick remedy for dull, oily and aging skin, look no further than your fridge! don’t have sensitive skin, lemons can help your complexion in different ways. Exfoliate with lemon to maintain clear, youthful skin! Lemon fruit acids are ideal for gentle exfoliation; add the vitamin content of lemons and you’ve got a complete skincare treatment right in your kitchen! To exfoliate, apply lemon juice on clean skin for 5-10 minutes then rinse.
Best Finds: Garnier Light range, Burts Bees – Lemon Poppy Seed Facial Cleanser I have obviously not exhausted the list of best skin care products. There are so many other vital one like Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Jojoba, Lavender, Chamomile, Rosehip etc. My best find examples may be a bit limited because I am only citing stores/brands/products I am familiar with. There are other numerous and wider ranges of products that you can find for each natural extract. Pay close attention though to the composition and percentage of each natural product in different cosmetics. This will determine their effectiveness. What are your favourite skin care extracts? Spill the beans…if you don’t, your regimen will not work! Ha, joking. But you’ll feel better after sharing. Hope this has been helpful. Subscribe for more updates. Facebook: Art Becomes You
Peace n Love 🙂